[Tsung] Tsung - Report analysis

Bouffard, Sebastien sebastien.bouffard at canoe.ca
Thu Jan 14 20:16:35 CET 2010

Hello,

Recently, I had to write a Tsung script in order to load test a new website. I like the approach Tsung is taking to benchmarking, but I have a little difficulty understanding the outputs.

The scenarios I had to implement were pretty straight forward and the tsung-recorder got the job done in no time. After a few manual modifications to the generated scripts, the structure looked like this:

sessions

    session_1

        start_transaction_1

            http requests ...

        end_transaction_1

    end_session_1

    session_2

        start_transaction_2

            http requests ...

        end_transaction_2

    end_session_2

sessions

I thought about enclosing all the calls in each session inside a transaction because this is the only way I found in order to get response times statistics for each individual sessions. My idea was that, if a transaction spans an entire session, it would therefore give me the mean time that this particular session took to complete.

Below are some mean time stats I got. The numbers are really those that I got back from the Tsung report generation script:

Main statistics:

Session: mean = 5.007 sec, count = 17628

Transactions statistics:

tr_1: mean = 0.968 sec, count = 3474

tr_2: mean = 1.199 sec, count = 3473

tr_3: mean = 0.910 sec, count = 3378

tr_4: mean = 0.977 sec, count = 3476

tr_5: mean = 0.977 sec, count = 3453

I have 2 questions regarding this:

1. How can the mean time for session be 5.007 sec while the highest mean time for a particular transaction is 1.199 sec? Please keep in mind that, as explained above, each transaction in the script was actually containing every http requests for an entire session.

2. Is there a way I can get mean response time statistics by sessions without using transactions?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sébastien Bouffard